Thursday, June 11, 2015

Wanderlust: The What If Edition


So, for most of my adult-ish life, I have had a serious case of Wanderlust. 


It is really hard to explain exactly how much my soul yearns to see new places and experience new foods and cultures. I love learning about different cultural practices, about how people have had totally different experiences as human beings than I have. I think that travel really helps us have a broader and more compassionate view of the world and people. If it was up to me, I would sell everything and we would just go on a huge adventure, never to return. But something is in my way: Fear.
Fear of living a non-conventional life.
Fear of being broke.
Fear of not having a place to call home.
Fear of instability. 
Fear of the unknown. 
Sometimes, fear is a really helpful emotion. In fact, a lot of times in my life when I have been scared, it has been for a very good reason. But what is it about breaking from the traditional script of what you are supposed to do in life that is so scary? 


I am constantly looking at different options for my life. Go back to school. Start my own business. Become a beach bum in Hawaii. David going to grad school. David changing courses in Nursing. Flipping houses. Working at Disney World. It goes on and on with all the options I have looked at and the life plans I have made based around them. But it is never the right time to change things. It is never the right time to do something that would make our life less easy. But the time is quickly approaching. 

At the end of this year, David and I will have a nice chunk of cash in savings. All of our debt will be paid off. We will have all the money saved to finish what we want to do to the house. We will be all out of excuses for not doing what we dream - and I am really interested to see what happens when we get to that point. This year, so far, has been a lesson in waiting. We would love to have some things happen RIGHT NOW, but we know that if we wait - some really awesome things are on the horizon. And we can see them. If we can just be a little bit more patient, we will be able to have our cake and eat it in a responsible, controlled manner. I think the fact that I want to wait until things are "right", at least as right as I can make them, means that I am turning into an adult. It is interesting and odd and I'm not quite sure if I like it. 


David and I are going to Explore, Dream and Discover. I am so excited that even if one option doesn't work out, we are fully prepared with two or three back up options that make us just as excited and will fulfill all our dreams in different ways. 

This was a really weird stream of typing and not editing post. If you made it this far, I salute you.

Off to kick this day's butt!

No comments: